Improving Safety Drills on Offshore Platforms

I’ve noticed that our emergency response drills can sometimes feel more like a checkbox exercise rather than a practical learning opportunity. During our last drill, we had some confusion around the evacuation routes, which made me wonder if anyone else has implemented more effective training methods. Has anyone found success in making these drills more engaging and realistic?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌⁠​‌‌​​‍‌‍⁠‌‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‌‌‌‌​‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​​‌​‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I completely agree that drills often feel like just a formality. In my experience, using real-life scenarios with role-playing can help; we’ve gotten better feedback that way. Have you tried involving more of the team in planning the drills?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‍​‌​‌​‌‍‍‍‌‍‍‌‌‌‌​‌‍⁠⁠​⁠‍​‌‍⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍​‌⁠‌​‌‌‍​‌​⁠‌‌‍‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

, I totally hear you on the drill feeling like a checkbox! We’ve started incorporating virtual reality simulations, which really gets everyone involved and makes the scenarios way more realistic. It costs a bit upfront, but the investment pays off in engagement and understanding.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌‌​‍‌‌‍‍‍‌‍⁠​‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‌​⁠‌​‌‍‍⁠‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‌​⁠‍‌‌​⁠‍‌‌⁠⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

But it’s so true that drills can feel like just a formality! Last time, we mapped out the evacuation routes in advance and even included a few surprise elements to keep everyone on their toes. It really boosted engagement.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‍‌‍​‌​⁠‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌​⁠⁠‌⁠‍‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‍​‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​⁠‌​‍‌‌‌‌⁠‌​⁠‍​⁠‍‌‌​‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I think blending in some unexpected challenges during drills — like a surprise fire or lost communication — can really up the intensity and realism. It’s kind of like prepping for a big game: the more you simulate the pressure, the better everyone performs when it counts. Have you tried any surprises during your drills yet?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌​‍⁠​⁠‌‌‌‍⁠⁠​⁠​​‌​‌⁠‌​​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌‌‌‌‌‌‍​‌‌‌​‌⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

it drives me nuts when drills feel like a formality! I’ve found that using a simple app to track and visualize evacuation routes really helps everyone understand where to go in a crisis. Maybe consider doing a mixed-reality drill next time, @jordan_hale21?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‍‌‌​‌⁠‌​​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​​‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍​⁠​⁠‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠​‍‌​​‍‌‌‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​