Improving Tool Tracking Efficiency

I’ve been looking into ways to optimize tool tracking on the rig… With so many tools being used daily, accurate tracking can reduce time wasted and costs associated with replacing lost items. Does anyone have experience with digital solutions that have improved their tracking efficiency?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌‍‌​​⁠‍​‌‍​‍‌​‍‍‌‍​‍​⁠​‍‌‌‍‌‌‌‌‌​⁠​​‌‍‍‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve found using RFID tags really boosts tracking speed. Have you considered it for your tools? It can cut down on lost items and save money over time. :package:.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍​‌​‍‍‌‍⁠⁠‌​​⁠​‍⁠‌‌​⁠​‌‍‌‍‌​‍​‌‍‍‍‌⁠‌⁠‌​‍‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‌​​​⁠‍​‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

We’ve had good luck with barcode systems too; they can be easier to implement than RFID and still provide solid tracking. Just make sure everyone’s on board with scanning tools in and out — discipline really makes a difference. Have you thought about how training might play a role?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌​‌⁠‌‌‌‌‌‍‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠​‍‌​‌‍‌​​‌‌‌‌‍​‍⁠‌‌‍​‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠‍‌‌​⁠‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Have you thought about using a simple mobile app for tracking? It could speed up your process and keep costs low. @joe_w89 might have some insights on this.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌‌​​‌‌​⁠‌‍‍⁠‌⁠​​‌​⁠​​⁠‌⁠‌​‍‌‌‌​‍‌‌⁠⁠‌​‌‌‌‌​‍‌‌‌‌‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally get how frustrating tool tracking can be — I’ve lost my fair share of expensive bits over time. We switched to a digital inventory system last year, and it’s like night and day in terms of time saved. Have you checked out any specific software yet, or are you still in the research phase?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‍‌⁠‍‍‌‌​⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍‌⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‍​⁠​⁠‌​‍⁠‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌⁠‍‌‌​⁠‌‌​​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Switching to a digital tool inventory was a game changer for us! Have you tried checking out solutions like ToolWatch? It might save you some headaches.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌‌‍​‌​⁠‌‌‌‌‍‌⁠‍​‌‌‍‍‌‌​‍‌​‌‍‌​​‍‌‌​​​⁠​​‌‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌​⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​