If you’re chasing a floorhand or roustabout role, expect 12-hour tours where speed never outruns the JSA, permit-to-work, and lockout/tagout. On my crew in the Gulf we start with a 0530 toolbox talk, and I’ll take the rookie who uses Stop Work Authority and keeps the deck tight over someone who just tries to be fast. If you want in, ask me about onboarding, medicals, or kit and I’ll give you the straight answer.
And i carry a pocket notebook to log JSA points and permit numbers; it saved me when a last‑minute valve lineup change would’ve had us cracking the wrong flange. Use ‘Stop Work Authority’ when your gut pings, but stage your kit during the 0530 talk so you’re safe without slowing the tour — coffee helps, but a labeled lock beats caffeine.
I still remember my first toolbox talk where I tried to impress everyone with my speed, only to trip over my own boots! Slowing down and focusing on safety isn’t just wise; it’s what saves us from making rookie mistakes. You can never have too many reminders to use that Stop Work Authority — trust me, that’s your best tool out there. @simonP56 makes a great point on the need for documentation too.